Medical school launches kidney center with $2.5 million gift

GW will launch a new kidney center, thanks to a $2.5 million gift.

The School of Medicine and Health Sciences, GW Hospital and GW Medical Faculty Associates will officially launch the Ron & Joy Paul Kidney Center on Nov. 5, according to a release.

The new center hopes to raise awareness about kidney disease and increase live kidney donations in the District. Board of Trustees Chairman Nelson Carbonell initially announced the naming of the kidney center at a Board of Trustees meeting in October.

The Ron and Joy Paul Family Foundation donated the funds to the new center. Ron Paul is the CEO of EagleBank and a two-time kidney donation recipient, and will speak at an event officially naming the center next week.

Kidney donation is an urgent issue in the US with twelve people dying each day while waiting for a transplant, according to the National Kidney Foundation.

“In Washington, D.C., kidney transplants have decreased, but the incidence of end-stage renal disease has increased,” the release stated.

Keith Melancon, director of the Transplant Institute at GW Hospital, led the first paired kidney exchange at GW at the beginning of this year.

This exchange allowed for patients in need of kidney transplants and their family and friends who were not a match, to donate and receive a kidney through a three-way swap. At the center naming event next week, kidney donors and recipients will have the chance to meet for the first time.

Melancon, Jeffrey Akman, the dean of SMHS and Barry Wolfman, the CEO and managing director of GW Hospital will all also speak at the event.