Men’s soccer gets bounceback win at VCU

Sophomore midfielder Koby Osei-Wusu pushes the ball in a game earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo by Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
This post was written by Hatchet reporter Peter Hoegler.

After two straight losses against Rhode Island and St. Bonaventure, GW got back on track at VCU with their first win against the Rams in program history.

Scoreless after 90 minutes of regulation, GW (8-7-0, 4-2 A-10) did not take long to get a dangerous opportunity in the extra session. Four minutes in, junior Garrett Heine got the ball outside and crossed it into the the six to crashing GW forwards. The ball, however, took a bad bounce off the defender’s foot and into the net for an own goal to give GW the 1-0 victory, snapping the Colonials’ two-game skid.

“Garrett played a dangerous ball and we got out of there with a victory,” head coach Craig Jones said. “Our back line played great – They were a wall tonight. It takes a lot to go to VCU and get a victory. We’ve come a long way.”

VCU, now 2-2-3 in the Atlantic 10, had the upper hand early as their dangerous attackman, Cody Sweatte, had two great shots in the 12th minute but was unable to find the back of the net. Minutes later, VCU hit the crossbar on another attack.

In the 25th minute, sophomore Koby Osei-Wusu had a great opportunity and took a shot on goal but was stopped by the VCU keeper. VCU had one more opportunity and the game remained scoreless at the break.

GW and VCU combined for 11 shots in the second half but were unable to break the tie, forcing the game to an extra session.

“Moving forward, we just need to keep our feet in the ground,” Jones said. “We can’t worry about the standings, we just have to worry about ourselves.”

Senior goalkeeper Jack Lopez, who has locked up the role as starting goalkeeper for the foreseeable future, had his career-high with six saves while posting his third shutout of the season. Every shutout has come in league play, crucial for the Colonials as they look to make a tournament run.

GW looks to continue its league success next Saturday, hosting A-10 rival Massachusetts for Senior Day.