Freshmen complete sexual assault prevention training

About 97 percent of new students have completed in-person sexual assault prevention and intervention training, the University said Wednesday.

Freshmen and transfer students were required this year to complete stand-alone online and in-person trainings for the first time. They completed online sessions over the summer, and in-person trainings took place during Welcome Week and the weeks afterward.

Carrie Ross, the assistant director of sexual assault prevention and training who was hired last year, said in the release that students’ feedback has been positive, but some students said the trainings felt more like review.

“Some students commented in written feedback that the material was review – that they are already familiar with concepts such as consent and felt that there were too many required conversations about it at the beginning of the year,” Ross said.

Ross said she hopes to expand programming in future years to meet students where they are. She said students could be able to choose different tracks of training that go deeper into certain aspects of sexual assault, and offer different sessions for survivors of sexual assault.

“Students already involved in violence prevention efforts could choose an advocacy track, for example, and learn more about getting involved here at GW regarding sexual assault and relationship violence prevention,” she said. “Students could choose a ‘party smart’ or ‘bystander intervention’ track, perhaps, where similar basic information could be covered but the in-depth focus would be on one of those topics.”