Tucker earns men’s cross country’s first top weekly award since 2003

This post was written by Hatchet senior staff writer Josh Solomon.

Put your keys into the ignition, men’s cross country is driving in the fast lane, with their one, two step.

There was more than one decade-old first this weekend for the men’s cross country team. Not only did the Colonials compete in their first home meet since 2005, they also saw one of their runners take home All-Conference honors for the first time since 2003.

Senior Ryan Tucker was named the Atlantic 10 Cross Country Performer of the Week, the first time a GW runner has been given the weekly top honor since 2003, when then-senior Dave Azari earned the award. Freshman Andrew Weber also picked up Rookie of the Week honors.

At the DCXC/GW Invitational at Kenilworth Park (yes, right thurr), GW competed in a 5K against other D.C. schools, American, Howard and Catholic.

Tucker finished in fourth place, behind three runners for American, but set a personal collegiate record with a time of 15:56, nine seconds faster than his previous mark set last year in the season opener at Mount St. Mary’s Duals.

Meanwhile, Weber finished first among GW freshmen and ninth over. He becomes the first to win the rookie nod since Ryan DePinto did last September. Weber’s 16:15 was a 27-second drop from his previous time this season.