Taste of GW spotlights alumni-owned restaurants

Updated: Sept. 28, 2015 at 11:25 a.m.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Marissa Kirshenbaum

On Saturday night, beneath white tents and twinkling lights in University Yard, dozens of alumni didn’t just gather to hear live music and have their portraits drawn by a caricaturist.

The main event was the Taste of GW festival, which brought together 16 food vendors and alumni to share refreshments from their various restaurants.

For seven years, the food festival has brought exposure to local establishments run by alumni. Lauren Walinsky, a member of the alumni relations staff, helped plan the event along with other Alumni Weekend festivities, said that a lot of thought goes into setting up Taste of GW.

“We work on it all year long to get the right vendors and the right events so that it represents the diversity of the alumni,” she said.

Some of these vendors include campus favorites like Tonic, a joint known for its tater tots just a few blocks from Thurston Hall. Among the other vendors were Hot Chocolat, a French-style bakery that sells artisan chocolates, and Potomac Pizza, a Maryland pizzeria chain that offers a Mexican pizza, loaded with refried beans, salsa and guacamole.

One business, Comic Cupcakes, was launched by two recent alumni who combined their loves of comic books and baked goods.

Another bake shop, CakeLove was started by law school graduate and former attorney, Warren Brown, who ditched courtroom discussion to pursue his love of baking. Brown, who makes everything from scratch, doesn’t just concoct regular cupcakes – instead he offers cake in a jar.

Brown said his customers would tell him they wanted two things in particular: “portability and cream cheese frosting.”

He added that he hopes to expand to a Foggy Bottom location one day.

“After the first year we started pushing it heavily and now, about two years in we’re getting a distribution chance,” he said.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that Lauren Wallinsky is an alumna. She is a member of the alumni relations staff. We regret this error.