Diversity chief to leave GW

Terri Harris Reed, the University's first vice provost for diversity and inclusion, announced she is leaving GW. Hatchet File Photo
Terri Harris Reed, the University’s first vice provost for diversity and inclusion, announced she is leaving GW. Hatchet File Photo

Updated: Sept. 23, 2015 at 12:51 p.m.

Terri Harris Reed, the University’s first vice provost for diversity and inclusion, will leave her position at GW, the University announced Wednesday.

Reed will leave GW this Friday to serve as secretary of Spelman College, a historically black women’s college. She is the third top-level official to leave GW or announce a resignation this month.

“It has been my privilege to lead GW’s charge to elevate issues of diversity and inclusion as essential elements in the pursuit of institutional excellence,” Reed said. “I will miss the many colleagues and collaborators who made my experiences during the past four-plus years enjoyable, and I am extremely proud of what we have accomplished together.

Vanessa Perry, who is currently serving as an interim associate dean of graduate programs in the business school, will serve as the interim vice provost according to the release. The release did not include details about when or if an official search would be conducted.

Reed came to GW from Princeton University in 2011. The University created the position in an attempt to attract students and employees from more diverse backgrounds. Officials announced last spring that the majority of new tenure-track faculty hires are women.

“She not only proved to be a collaborative leader, but also a partner and friend who has truly laid the foundation for GW’s diversity efforts that will benefit generations of faculty and students,” Provost Steven Lerman said in the release.

Reed focused her work on hiring diverse employees across schools, a process she said would be gradual as rates of diverse faculty remained stagnant during her first three years at GW. She also served as interim Title IX coordinator before officials hired Rory Muhammad last fall.

Reed also chaired the University-wide task force on access and success, which suggested the University drop a requirement for standardized tests on applications to draw in more minority and low-income applicants.