Alumnus’s death in June ruled a suicide

Alumnus Keaton Marek died by suicide in June, the D.C. Chief Medical Examiner said this week.

Marek was found lying face down and unconscious at 24th and M streets after he came off the roof of the 2400 M Apartments on June 17. He died of “multiple blunt force injuries,” the medical examiner said. He was 22 years old.

Marek graduated in May with a degree in political science. He was a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and the GW College Democrats. About 30 GW students traveled to New York for his memorial service last summer, his mother Cynthia Marek said.

Cynthia Marek said that she and other members of her family were told before the ruling that the death may be declared a suicide because police could not identify an exact cause.

“I don’t think he was in that state of mind, but I’ll never know for sure,” she said.

Four current students have died by suicide since January 2014.

Cynthia Marek also said she and her husband hope to create a scholarship to honor their son at his high school, Kenmore West High School in Tonawanda, N.Y. The scholarship would be for a graduating senior who is interested in studying Keaton Marek’s favorite subjects: history, philosophy or political science.

She said that since her son’s death, many people have reached out to her and her family to express their condolences, including a GW student who didn’t know the Marek family but lived across the hall from Keaton Marek during her freshman year.

“She just said such nice things about him,” Cynthia Marek said. “We were very touched that she reached out to us, even though she didn’t know us.”

Jacqueline Thomsen and Robin Eberhardt contributed reporting.