Ezra Klein shares why Trump is leading news coverage

Vox's Ezra Klein discussed everyone from Donald Tump to Hillary Clinton at the Marvin Center Tuesday night. Andrew Goodman | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Vox’s Ezra Klein discussed everyone from Donald Tump to Hillary Clinton at the Marvin Center Tuesday night. Andrew Goodman | Hatchet Staff Photographer
This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Sucharita Mukherjee

The 2016 election is causing a media frenzy — and Vox editor Ezra Klein has certainly noticed.

Klein, also an MSNBC policy analyst, spoke to a crowd of about 100 students at the Marvin Center on Tuesday Night. In an event sponsored by the GW College Democrats, he discussed the rise of the media’s role in politics and public affairs.

While on the topic of Republican candidate Donald Trump’slasting popularity in news coverage, Klein emphasized that good TV is “all about finding people with a weirdly underdeveloped sense of shame.”

Klein added that people admire a candidate who is true to his or her statements. With a personality that is so in line with his policies, Klein said that “Donald Trump is an advertisement for Trumpism.”

Klein then moved to the other side of the political scale, making predictions about Vt. governor Bernie Sander’s rise in popularity for the Democratic ticket.

“Bernie Sanders, who does not get Trump-level media attention, doesn’t pull Trump-style stunts, doesn’t put down other candidates, is ahead of Hillary Clinton,” Klein said. “I think that’s more impressive.”

Klein said that the media is one of several factors causing two dark horse candidates, Trump and Sanders, to lead the polls.

While TV news coverage may be driven by ratings and audience feedback, Klein added that anotherr eason for this unpredictable election season could be because “the system is failing” and “everything is doomed.”

Or, in a theory that received the least support from the College Democrats, Klein said that Hillary Clinton could just be an overrated candidate.

The last theory that Klein proposed was that nothing unusual is happening and it’s too early in the election for Trump or Sanders to be real forerunners.

“It will just be Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton in the most joyless campaign,” he said.