Osuchukwu earns second straight A-10 award

Sophomore Chidima Osuchukwu elevates to hit a ball last season. Hatchet File Photo
It’s Chidima Osuchukwu and everybody else so far in this Atlantic 10 volleyball season.

Osuchukwu was named the A-10 Player of the Week in volleyball for the second straight week, the league announced Tuesday. The season is only two weeks old.

Osuchukwu, an All-American honorable mention last season, led the Colonials to a 3-0 record at the GW Invitational last weekend and a 3-1 week overall. She totaled 89 kills through 18 sets and had a .401 attack percentage throughout the week.

“She’s doing a really good job of being more versatile with her game. Before, especially last season, she took a lot of swings in front of the setter. So now, she’s feeling more comfortable going behind, running those slides, moving the ball around, seeing the open floor, understanding that it doesn’t have to always be a hard shot,” head coach Amanda Ault said.

Osuchukwu was also named the Most Valuable Player of the GW Invite, where she racked up more than 20 digs in each game.

She’d already won Player of the Week on Aug. 31 after opening GW’s season with an all-tournament performance at the Michigan Invitational.

In most matches, teams focus on Osuchukwu when game-planning for the Colonials. She’s drawing pairs and triplets of blockers to her spot on the net, yet is still finding the floor.

“As an All-American now she’s going to command that,” Ault said.

Ault said that if Osuchukwu gets up fast at the net, she thinks she can still get the ball over her defenders.

Osuchukwu is leading both the Colonials and the A-10 with 132 kills so far, and is tied for third in league-wide hitting percentage at .360.

Osuchukwu has now won Player of the Week six times in her career, and back-to-back awards twice. The first time was last year, during the weeks of Sept. 22 and 29. She is just the third player in program history to have won Player of the Week outright two weeks in a row.

Her next time out will be on Friday at Navy when the team starts off the Kristen Dickmann Invitational at 7 p.m.