Body of missing student recovered

The body of junior Nicholas Upton was recovered in South Africa Friday.

The body of a junior who has been missing in South Africa since Sunday was recovered Friday, according to a University statement.

Nicholas Upton, 19, died near New London, South Africa, according to a statement from the U.S. State Department. He was last seen swimming in the East Cape Province on Sunday, Aug. 30 at about 10:30 p.m. local time.

Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski said in a statement that the United States Consulate General in Cape Town notified GW officials on Friday that Upton’s body had been recovered.

“Our hearts go out to Nick’s family and friends. He touched many during his time at GW, and he will be missed,” Konwerski said.

Upton was a brother of Kappa Alpha fraternity and a member of the men’s rowing team. He was originally from Redding, Conn. and graduated from Joel Barlow High School.

Weather conditions had “hampered” the original search for Upton, according to an Aug. 31 release from the National Sea Rescue Institute.

He was “presumed drowned” and local officials called off the search for him on Tuesday.

His mother, Margaret Mirowski, and her husband traveled to South Africa Wednesday to hire private searchers to find her son.

A kickstarter started by a family friend of the Uptons to fund the private search and travel expenses has raised more than $83,000 since Tuesday. A vigil for Upton was held on campus Thursday night.

Nicholas Upton’s father, Jim Upton, said earlier this week that members of his son’s fraternity had visited Congressional, State Department and military offices to encourage officials to support the search.