Multicultural Greek Council could add additional chapter

The Multicultural Greek Council may add an additional chapter this year, a sign of its growing strength on campus.

Center for Student Engagement Director Tim Miller confirmed this summer that the national organization Kappa Phi Gamma, a South Asian-interest sorority, has expressed interest in starting a chapter at GW. He said that possibility comes after a “steady increase” of student interest in chapters affiliated with the Multicultural Greek Council over the last several years.

Miller said that total membership for the Multicultural Greek Council has wavered over the years, but generally clocks in at approximately 100 students.

“Many chapters have continued to grow and evolve over the years,” Miller said. “As with other student organizations, the number has fluctuated depending on student interest.”

Miller said his office continues to help make chapters affiliated with the Multicultural Greek Council an active part of the Greek community.

“We have been steadfast in our commitment and support of these organizations and have made their support, growth and excellence a priority,” Miller said in an email.

Over the summer, Iota Nu Delta and Kappa Phi Lambda won national and regional awards for their work on campus and around D.C. Miller said that much of the national recognition multicultural Greek chapters receive has led to “more awareness” of those organizations and other “tangible results,” like putting chapters in Greek housing.

The Multicultural Greek Council has also aimed to strengthen its ties to GW’s social fraternities and sororities, meeting monthly with leaders from those organizations. All three came together for the first-ever Greek Day of Service last year, where members took part in community service across the city.

Victoria Montero, the president of the Multicultural Greek Council, said in an interview that the increased interest in multicultural Greek chapters is partially because GW is admitting more students from diverse backgrounds.

“I love that there’s an increase, and I just think that multicultural Greek life has such a value that all students can benefit, no matter their background,” Montero said.

Still, some Multicultural Greek Council chapter leaders say it’s hard to stand out among the larger Greek life chapters. Montero said part of that challenge stems from multicultural Greek chapters generally being smaller than other organizations.

Many multicultural Greek chapters also aren’t allowed to have freshman members, a rule mandated by their national chapters, Montero said.

Zeta Phi Beta President Dymond Redd said the historically black sorority currently has 4 members after one graduated in the spring, and sometimes struggles to fund its events.

“A lot of times the money comes out of our own pockets because we’re trying to get things off the ground,” Redd said.

Aasha Holmes, president of GW’s chapter of the historically African-American sorority Delta Sigma Theta, said being such a small chapter on campus makes it harder to recruit members on campus. Holmes said Delta Sigma Theta currently has three members.

“It’s hard to stand out against sororities that have thousands of girls,” Holmes said.