The Hatchet is more than an award-winning student newspaper. The Hatchet’s business team is an all-student group who ensures the paper has the revenue it needs to succeed.
We are seeking motivated students with business or entrepreneurial experience for these positions, and are accepting applications immediately. Each role is open to graduate or undergraduate students and comes with unique responsibilities and a potential for promotions within the section.
If you are interested, email Business Manager Alex Melton: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position requires six to eight hours of work per week at $10.50 an hour.
– Processing payments and invoices for advertisers on a weekly basis
– Maintaining the subscriber list
– Preparing a monthly A/R audit
– Conducting closing procedures.
– Experience with Excel is preferred. We will provide additional Excel training and train you on our in-house accounting software.
This position requires at least two hours of work per week in the Hatchet’s office. The rest of the week is self-directed. Pay is a commission of 15 percent of sales.
– Pursues new advertising clients for The Hatchet through cold calling or onsite visits
– Meets budgeted goals
– Writes orders
– Collects payment
– Quotes rates
– Writes contracts
– Verifies placement/receipt of ad material
– All other duties as specified by Ad Director/Sales Director
– Reports to Ad Director/ Sales Director
– Ability to think strategically
– Excellent communications skills
– Strong work ethic and ambition
Distribution – Driver
This position requires three to four hours a week at $12.50 an hour.
– Pick up our weekly papers from our printer in Maryland and bring them to our F Street townhouse. Papers can be picked up at 3 a.m. and must be in the townhouse by 8 a.m.
– Must have access to a car. The Hatchet will reimburse the cost of gas or use of a Zipcare membership.
Distribution – Delivery
This position requires two to three hours of work each week at $12.50 an hour.
– Distribute papers to each distribution rack on the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. every Monday.
This position requires at least five hours of work each week at $10.50 an hour.
– Support the assistant business manager and business manager in their operative roles
– Conduct research to support needs of the business department and assist with procurement
– Have a flexible schedule
– Think on your feet and work well under deadline pressure