Metro derailment disrupts Orange, Blue and Silver lines service Thursday

Updated: Aug. 6, 2015 at 10:47 a.m.

A Metro train derailment caused major transportation delays for D.C. passengers Thursday morning that could stretch into the afternoon.

A train carrying no passengers derailed outside the Smithsonian Station early Thursday morning, according to a Metro press release. There were no injuries to the operator, but service was suspended between the Federal Center SW and McPherson Square stops for the Orange and Blue lines, the release stated.

“Metro personnel are working to restore normal service as quickly and safely as possible. However, at this time there is no estimate on when normal service will be restored,” the release stated.

Silver Line trains are only running between Wiehle-Reston East and East Falls Church to prevent further congestion, according to the release.

Metro’s interim general manager Jack Requa said at a press conference Thursday that the damage to the Metro car and the surrounding station was “relatively minor,” but the area where the derailment occurred is a difficult space to “re-rail equipment.”

“We have brought in all of our resources from across the system to assist with the re-railing process to get it done as quickly and safely as possible,” Requa said. “There is a possibility that this afternoon’s service will be affected.”

The Smithsonian and Federal Triangle stops are closed, and all Metrobuses in D.C. will provide free transportation for passengers affected by the derailment, according to the release.

In July, Requa testified before Congress over safety concerns after a fatal incident in January near the L’Enfant Plaza left one woman dead.

As D.C. residents searched for alternate ways to get to work during rush hour, some commuters tweeted their frustration with the derailment.

Jeanine Marie contributed reporting.