Business school dean discusses women in business at White House event

The dean of the GW School of Business formally committed the school to helping women in business at a White House event Wednesday.

The Council on Women and Girls and the Council of Economic Advisers hosted business school deans from across the country at the White House on Wednesday, according to a White House release. Linda Livingstone, dean of the business school, was one of 45 deans who has committed their schools to a set of best practices to support women in business and were invited to meet at the White House event.

Livingstone, who took over as dean of the business school last year, has been known for championing women in business. Livingstone said in an interview last year that she promotes women in business education, and she thinks business courses should be designed so they’re valuable for everyone including minorities and women.

Wednesday’s meeting brought together both university and business leaders to discuss the best ways to make business work well for groups like families in the 21st century.

The schools agreed to focus on goals including ensuring women better access to business schools and careers, creating a school experience that prepares students for the work force, ensuring career services for graduates and demonstrating how successful businesses are run.

The Council of Economic Advisers also released a brief Wednesday in light of the event, explaining the issues women in business face and how schools can work to encourage their success.

Colleen Murphy contributed reporting.