Men’s tennis adds international depth with transfer from Clemson

The Colonials added Clemson transfer Fernando Sala to their 2015-16 roster Wednesday, head coach Greg Munoz announced in a release.

Sala hails from Alicante, Spain and won Spain’s national doubles championship twice and the country’s singles crown once. During his run to the latter he broke into the top 400 of the International Tennis Federation rankings.

“Fernando is a very talented player,” head coach Greg Munoz said in a release. “I know he will be hungry to break into the top six, and I look forward to seeing what he can bring to our team.”

Sala was 15-8 overall as a singles player for the Tigers and 4-2 last season. Clemson finished the 2014-15 season ranked No. 66 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings but No. 11 out of 13 teams in the tough Atlantic Coast Conference.

Sala will be the seventh international player on the team, but the first Spanish player under Munoz. Six of eight returners from last season are from outside the U.S.

Sala was named to the 2013-14 ACC academic honor roll and is planning to major in international business during his time at GW.

The Colonials won the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship last season. They lost No. 1 overall player Francisco Dias to graduation but otherwise retained all top performers.