Public health building receives sustainable construction award

The Milken Institute School of Public Health has features like a green roof that collects rainwater. Hatchet File Photo

The Milken Institute School of Public Health building glows the greenest in the District this year.

The National Capital chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council awarded Paladino and Company the “New Construction Award,” for their work on the school’s eco-friendly design this week, according to a release from the organization. Paladino and Company worked on the project as a green building consultant.

“A panel of leaders from various fields within the local sustainable design community and development industry” determined the award recipients, the release said.

The building received Gw’s first and only platinum LEED certification last July. The platinum rating is the USGBC’s highest sustainability rating.

Features like environmentally efficient heating and air conditioning systems and a green roof that collects rainwater contributed to the building’s LEED ranking. The school’s building also has hidden elevators and prominently located staircases to reduce building energy use and encourage people to use the stairs.

The organization honored five other construction projects in the District, which the release said “exemplify green building practices and principles.”

GW has a total of 11 LEED certified buildings, with the GW Museum and Textile Museum most recently receiving a gold certification in January. University President Steven Knapp has placed sustainability at the forefront of his administration since coming on board in 2007.