MPD officers shot at suspects after off-campus carjacking

Updated: July 22,2015 at 2:27 p.m.

Two suspects are now in custody after an attempted off-campus carjacking early Wednesday morning, a Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman confirmed.

MPD officers shot at the suspects as they fled in the direction of campus, according to a campus alert. MPD spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said the suspects were not injured by the gun shots.

MPD officers notified the University Police Department of the situation at about 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday, according to a campus alert.

A male suspect had been captured by police by 3:40 a.m., and another unarmed suspect had fled in the direction of campus. The second suspect was captured after a resident student alerted UPD to a “a suspicious person hiding” by Munson Hall at 22nd and I streets, according to a campus alert.

GW sent two text messages and three emails about the incident, with the first text alert arriving at 3:42 a.m.

“Residual” police activity on campus continued into the morning, according to the alert. As MPD continues its investigation, officers are at the Foggy Bottom Metro station, on 2000 Pennsylvania Ave. and at 23rd Street,. 23rd Street between H and G streets was partially shut down as part of the investigation, but fully reopened by 8:45 a.m.

“Campus safety is a community responsibility, and we thank our community member for her awareness and actions, which led MPD to be able to make a quick arrest,” one campus alert said.

Jacqueline Thomsen contributed reporting.