Interim Metro director testifies in Congress over safety concerns

Metro leaders were questioned by members of the House of Representatives about the safety of D.C.’s public transportation system Tuesday.

Two House subcommittees, one on transportation and public assets and another concerning government operations, both scrutinized Metro officials after a fatal incident near the L’Eftant Plaza stop left one woman dead, according to The Washington Post.

Rep. Gerald Connolly (D-Va.) said that an aging Metro system, maintenance problems and no consistent source of funding has led to a “perfect storm of problems,” The Post reported.

And Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.) vaguely threatened the transportation leaders with privatizing the system if changes don’t happen soon.

“There are companies that can operate transit systems,” Mica said.

On Monday, transportation officials announced that they added a new fire and rescue liaison position to Metro to watch its control center and to help coordinate response efforts to emergencies in the Metro.

Jack Requa, Metro’s interim general director, spoke before both subcommittees, and told representatives that the search for a permanent general director is in full swing after disagreements from the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority board of directors slowed the process, according to The Post.