Men’s soccer to face Virginia, UMBC in challenging 2015 campaign

Two of last year’s Final Four teams, including national champion Virginia, await men’s soccer as part of an 18-match 2015 regular season schedule announced Tuesday by head coach Craig Jones.

“As we celebrate our 50th anniversary of varsity soccer this fall, our schedule is one of the toughest and most challenging since I have been involved with the program,” Jones said in a release.

Catholic (8/21) and James Madison (8/23) will test GW in exhibition contests before the Colonials begin the season at the Kuykenstrong D.C. College Cup, where they will take on American (8/28) and Howard (8/30) in the tournament’s 15th season.

GW will head to California next to square off with Cal State Fullerton (9/4) and San Diego State (9/6) and then pay a visit to Saint Francis (9/16) before a three-game homestand featuring matches against Loyola Maryland (9/19), national semi-finalist UMBC (9/22) and Robert Morris (9/25).

After visiting the reigning champion Cavaliers (9/29), the Colonials kick off their Atlantic 10 schedule on the road at Davidson (10/3) and Saint Joseph’s (10/7).  The team returns to DC to play George Mason (10/10), Longwood (10/13), reigning A-10 champion Rhode Island (10/17) and Saint Bonaventure (10/21).

Games at VCU (10/24), home against Massachusetts (10/31) and at Saint Louis (11/7) will round out the Colonials 2015 campaign as they look to reach the A-10 tournament for the first time since 2011. GW posted a 6-9-2 overall record (2-4-2 A-10) last fall.

“I seem to say this every year, but the A-10 is getting tougher and more competitive every season and every game is a battle,” Jones, in his fourth year as head of the program, said.

The 2015 A-10 Championship will be hosted by George Mason on Nov. 12-15.