Director of Hispanic leadership institute announced

An assistant professor of sociology will head GW’s new Cisneros Hispanic Leadership Institute, according to a release published Monday.

David Martínez has studied the sociology of race and ethnicity, as well as immigration in the United States. He said in the release that his goal is to establish a strong foundation for the Cisneros Institute, which will focus on welcoming Hispanic students into the higher education environment, its founder and alumnus Gilbert Cisneros said in a release last month.

“In addition to having tremendously supportive parents, I believe a major reason I have been able to succeed thus far in my career is because of the important mentors and role models I have had throughout my life,” Martínez said in the release. “This is my opportunity to pay that forward and serve as a mentor to our students.”

Martínez added that he will help students make connections in the D.C. area to draw on throughout their careers.

The Cisneros Institute was announced during May’s Board of Trustees’ meeting as part of a $7 million gift. Cisneros and his wife donated the money to start pre-college programs for high school juniors and seniors that focus on leadership and higher education. At least $250,000 of their gift will go toward scholarships every year, which are renewable for four years.