Man found dead at 24th and M streets was recent alumnus

A more updated version of this story can be found here.

The man found dead on a sidewalk at 24th and M streets last Wednesday was 22-year-old alumnus Keaton Marek, the Metropolitan Police Department confirmed Monday.

Marek, who graduated last month, “came off the roof” of the 2400 M Apartments, said his mother, Cynthia Marek. MPD officers had responded to a radio call for a “man down” at about 12:43 a.m. last Wednesday and found Keaton Marek lying face down and unconscious on the sidewalk, according to police records. He was not breathing and had suffered severe head trauma, according to police records.

MPD’s homicide unit is investigating the case, MPD Assistant Chief Peter Newsham said in an email. He added the homicide unit is involved in all cases that are “unattended deaths,” meaning Keaton Marek was not under the care of a doctor when he died. The chief medical examiner has not yet released an official cause of death in the case.

Keaton Marek graduated in May with a degree in political science, University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar confirmed. He is from Kenmore, N.Y. and was a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and the GW College Democrats, his mother said. He had also worked as a campus security aide since 2013, according to his LinkedIn page.

Cynthia Marek said about 30 GW students are traveling to his memorial services in New York this week.

“He was one of those people, and there are a lot of people at GW like this, that wanted to improve the world,” she said.

Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski said in an email that officials are “deeply saddened” to learn of Keaton Marek’s death.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this difficult time,” Konwerski said.

Members of the community can contact Mental Health Services at 202-994-5300. Those concerned about a current student can complete a CARE Network report form.

Jacqueline Thomsen contributed reporting.