Miller named 2015 NCAA Woman of the Year nominee

Senior Chakecia Miller drives past a defender in a game against Bowie State during her senior season. Hatchet File Photo.
Recent women’s basketball graduate Chakecia Miller has been named GW’s nominee for the 2015 NCAA Woman of the Year award, the league announced Friday.

Miller, who ran the point as a senior during much of the Colonials’ record-breaking 2014-15 season, is one of 480 student-athletes nominated this year, the most in the history of the NCAA Woman of the Year program. The program honors academic achievements, athletics excellence, community service and leadership of graduating female college athletes from Divisions I, II and III.

The San Antonio, Texas native finished her collegiate career with 275 steals, good for 4th most in program history. She also finished her time at GW ranked 10th with 385 assists and tied for 7th with 125 games played.

Miller averaged 6.9 points, 3.8 assists and 2.1 steals per game during the Colonials’ 29-win season, en route to the team’s first A-10 title since 2003 and first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2008.

The psychology major graduated with a 3.21 GPA and accumulated more than 50 hours of community service as a GW student. Miller was also a three-year member of GW’s Leadership Academy and a two-time Student-Athlete Advisory Council team representative.

Miller now advances to the Atlantic 10 Conference ballot for a chance to be selected to advance to the national ballot. The 2015 Woman of the Year will be announced at an awards dinner in Indianapolis on Oct. 18.

Sarah-Jo Lawrence, also a former guard for the women’s basketball team, was the last Colonial to advance to the national ballot in 2008.