Students form group to support Jeb Bush presidential campaign

Another GW student group formed this week to support the ever growing field of presidential candidates.

Colonials for Jeb, a page in support of former Florida governor Jeb Bush, who announced his campaign for the Republican nomination for president on Monday, launched Sunday night. The page currently has more than 50 likes.

William Hanna, a senior and creator of the Facebook page, said while the group is not affiliated with Bush’s official campaign, he hopes events the group is planning to hold, like phone banking, happy hour fundraisers and planning events, will help students learn more about Bush’s positions on issues.

“We’re here to talk to all students that are interested in our message,” Hanna said. “We’re here as a sounding board, he’s an option, this is why we feel he’s the best candidate.”

He said the group is planning to register as a student organization at the beginning of the school year and is open to working with other student organizations, including non-political ones, as the campaign season heats up.

In May, a group of GW students launched a group in support of Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who is running for president as a Democrat. Earlier in the year, students launched a similar group for Hillary Clinton, who is also running for president as a Democrat.