House bill would keep marijuana sales illegal in D.C.

A Congressional spending measure will again block the sale of marijuana in D.C. Hatchet File Photo

Republicans in the House of Representatives Thursday moved forward with a budget bill that would keep the sale of marijuana illegal in D.C. for more than two years, the Washington Post reported.

Since Februrary, D.C. residents have been able to grow, smoke and possess small amounts of marijuana for recreational use. The House bill would not reverse that, but would keep D.C. officials from being able to “enact or carry out any law, rule, or regulation” for legalization.

Mayor Muriel Bowser commented earlier this year that the funding ban would not impede the legalization that was approved by voters because smoking and possessing the substance does not require D.C. to spend money to regulate it.

James Jones, a D.C. statehood advocate for D.C. Vote, called the budget a “small victory” if the budget passed as it is now, the Post reported.

Congress advanced other measures recently that would maintain medical marijuana programs. Both Republicans and Democrats in the House last week instructed the Drug Enforcement Agency not to target state medical marijuana dispensaries or states that allow sales of products derived from marijuana plants.