Circulator buses now to operate through National Mall

The District’s Circulator bus will begin its new route through the National Mall this Sunday, according to Greater Greater Washington.

The Circulator’s new route was mad possible by funding from the National Park Service that began in 2011, a change that allows the bus to now provide service through the interior of the Mall. The District Department of Transportation announced the new route in December.

The bus will provide service until 8 p.m. in the summer and 7 p.m. in the winter. The route will begin at Union Station and continue along Louisiana Avenue and through the Mall by Madison Drive, West Basin Drive, Ohio Drive, Constitution Avenue and Jefferson Drive.

The Circulator ceased services on a route near but not inside the National Mall in 2011, the same year the D.C. interpretive tour service Tourmobile shut down. Sunday will mark the first public bus service on the Mall since then.

Due to the expected increase in bus demand, DDOT purchased 18 new hybrid buses, bringing the Circulator fleet to a total of 67 buses. The new buses include improved air conditioning units and 19 USB ports on each for charging electronics.

The department will host a launch event for the new route this Friday at 11 a.m. at the Lincoln Memorial. Mayor Muriel Bowser and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) are expected to attend.