From M Street to U Street: get to know other D.C. college neighborhoods

Media Credit: Desiree Halpern | Photo Editor
There’s nothing quite like a summer afternoon stroll along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal that runs parallel to urban apartment buildings and chic shops in Georgetown.

Clubbing at Cities and brunching at Founding Farmers are a must for your first few weeks at GW. But when you need a change of scenery, make sure to hit up the District’s options for college students outside of Foggy Bottom.

From American University’s art scene to Howard University’s nightlife, here’s where you should go in D.C.’s other college neighborhoods.

Georgetown University
The Tombs, 1226 36th St. NW
In the basement of the upscale restaurant 1789 is The Tombs, a go-to bar and eatery for the Georgetown crowd. At all hours of the day, you’ll run into students enjoying $15 chicken and waffles and $13 quiche for brunch or sipping on $3 to $4 pints with $5 steamed pork belly buns during happy hour.

Buffalo Exchange, 3279 M St. NW
Georgetown’s quaint M Street boasts all of the preppy stores you would expect, with Vineyard Vines and Polo Ralph Lauren nearby on Wisconsin Avenue. But make sure to duck into the trendy thrift boutique Buffalo Exchange, where you can browse for bargain vintage clothes and sell your old threads.

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
Georgetown’s backyard is home to some of the best nature trails in the District. For one of the most scenic routes, you can jog along the river canal that runs through Georgetown, and snap a picture for Instagram while you’re at it.

American University
Osman and Joe’s Steak’n Egg Kitchen, 4700 Wisconsin Ave. NW
In the quiet Tenleytown neighborhood surrounding American University, Osman and Joe’s has been serving up classic diner fare for almost two decades. Whether you’re stopping in for a quick brunch or a late-night craving, be sure to try the namesake $14 steak and eggs with hash browns and gravy.

The Kreeger Museum, 2401 Foxhall Road NW
A lesser-known alternative to the National Gallery of Art, the Kreeger Museum isn’t far from the Mount Vernon Campus. Because of its proximity to the Tenleytown Metro station, you can meet American University students while browsing works by Monet, Picasso and Renoir. Admission is $7 for college students with a valid identification card.

Katzen Arts Center, 4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Once you’ve seen taken a stroll through the Textile Museum and the Corcoran Gallery of Art, see how another university’s art scene compares at the Katzen Center. From modern, abstract art to ancient Chinese works, you can check out Katzen’s rotating exhibits for free.

The Busboys and Poets in Brookland is conveniently across the street from Catholic University and two blocks from the Brookland Metro station. You can order a variety of foods ranging from veggie burgers and coconut ice cream to mint lattes and eggs Benedict.

Catholic University
Busboys and Poets, 625 Monroe St. NE
D.C. is home to a number of Busboys and Poets locations, but you can enjoy live poetry along with Catholic University students at its spot in the Brookland neighborhood. If you’re just in the mood to grab a bite, the cozy cafe also offers a brunch menu with dishes like the $10 sweet potato pancakes and the $12 Oaxaca omelette, loaded with black beans, cheese, pico de gallo and guacamole.

ArtJamz, 716 Monroe St. NE
At ArtJamz in Brookland, you have the opportunity to make art instead of just looking at it – there are more than 30 options for learning how to paint while listening to music. With packages like The Banksy for $38 and The Picasso for $35, you can choose bar access, the length of your session (one to two hours) and whether you want to paint on a canvas or design your own doll.

Echostage, 2135 Queens Chapel Road NE
The energetic performances at Echostage and its proximity to Brookland make it the concert venue of choice for many Catholic University students, and its featured artists will make the trek worthwhile for GW students. Upcoming acts include The Smiths frontman Morrissey on June 17 and rapper Flo Rida on July 24.

Howard University
Howard Theatre, 620 T St. NW
The area around Howard University is home to some the best nightlife in the city. For a venue where you can catch dinner and a show, look no further than the historic Howard Theatre. While munching on crab cakes and sipping on cocktails named for famous jazz artists, like the fruity Ella Fitz, you can catch upcoming headliners like entertainer Frankie Grande (the brother of pop star Ariana Grande) and R&B singer Macy Gray.

Ben’s Chili Bowl is an exciting, yet classic restaurant to grab lunch or a late-night snack with friends after an outing in U Street. You can often find it packed with professionals and tourists ordering chili or hot dogs.

Ben’s Chili Bowl 1213 U St. NW
Right off of U Street, Howard University is also within walking distance of a trendy corridor of D.C. eateries. But don’t waste your time debating between Ethiopian cuisine or Southern soul food. The iconic, bright red-and-yellow Ben’s Chili Bowl is a must for all D.C. residents and visitors — make sure to try the half-smoke sausage topped with chili for around $6.

Bohemian Caverns, 2001 11th St. NW
Howard University’s entertainment scene is full of history, too — jazz clubs like Bohemian Caverns helped launch the careers of artists like Duke Ellington. Upcoming acts include the bluesy, saxophone-infused sounds of groups like AfroHORN and the Nicholas Payton Trio.