GW contributes data to post-graduation outcomes report

For the first time, a national organization conducted a survey of college graduates in the Class of 2014 to evaluate trends in the job market and higher education.

GW was one of more than 200 institutions that contributed data to the National Association of Colleges and Employers’ survey. Officials said they hoped the results would set a baseline for what recent graduates do once they leave the university setting.

Data was broken down by a variety of factors, including the level of graduates’ degrees, size of college attended, whether the university was public or private and what kind of outcome graduates had within six months of graduation. NACE officials found that 54 percent of graduates had found full-time employment, while about 75 percent of graduates had found some sort of “destination.”

Sixty-two percent of bachelor’s graduates were employed and about 16 percent of those who had earned four-year degrees were continuing their educations. Roughly 80 percent of graduates with bachelor’s degrees were in what the report called a “positive outcome,” which meant they were not searching for positions or had not stopped searching for a job or other opportunity.

The percentage of GW students who were employed within six months of graduation has hovered around 63 percent for three years, according to a survey released last year.

GW’s Center for Career Services reached out to members of last year’s graduating class three times last year and participation roughly doubled, with 85 percent of the Class of 2014 responding to the annual questionnaire.