Nursing school graduates urged to embrace charity, change

Interim Dean Mary Jane Schumann welcomed the 2015 Graduating Class of the George Washington School of Nursing. Katie Causey | Photo Editor

Speakers at the School of Nursing’s commencement ceremony urged about 300 graduates to balance nurturing attitudes with professionalism in Lisner Auditorium Thursday night.

Mary Jean Schumann, interim dean of the nursing school, told graduates that they would be part of the most personal moments in their patients’ lives – from births to deaths.

1. Thanking support systems

Schumann led a round of applause for the audience members who supported the graduates as they juggled school with jobs and responsibilities at home.

She said spouses, family members and friends helped graduates with everything from doing laundry to picking up kids from school.

“This was a family event, so if you hear a child in the background, please note that that child was a part of the support system,” she said.

2. Changing perceptions of nursing

Student speaker Danielle Melican, who said she never imagined she would be addressing the crowd after becoming a mother and high school dropout at age 16, said she came across stereotypes about nursing while researching for her speech on the Internet.

“While looking through seemingly unending memes and quotes about nursing, I noticed that three words appeared much more frequently than others,” she said. “Those words were caring, calling and compassionate.”

She encouraged graduates to be examples of how nurses could handle a rigorous education and be professional while still maintaining those qualities.

“You are proof that nurses are more,” she said.

3. Making “CHOICES”

Diane Okonsy, a graduate in the doctor of nursing practice program, said she and her fellow students have embodied the acronym “CHOICES,” which stands for choices, hard work, opportunity, initiative, charity, energy and passion and shooting for the stars.

She emphasized the “charity” aspect of the acronym before presenting a check for $2,500 to the doctor of nursing practice program on behalf of her fellow graduates.

4. Launching a new career

After serving as dean of the nursing school for 10 days, keynote speaker Pamela Jeffries said she and the graduates were in similar situations as they embarked on new career paths.

“I’m very much empathizing with each of you every step of the way,” she said. “There are many similarities with our journeys as we forge into new directions.”

She left the graduates with four pieces of advice for the future: set goals, find a mentor, build a network and be a leader.

Like this photo? You can purchase your personal photo from this graduation ceremony online at: www.hatchetphotos.com