Updated: May 4, 2015 at 2:50 p.m.
Students Against Sexual Assault has started its an online fundraising campaign to fund programming for next year, after the Student Association cut the group’s budget for next academic year.
The SA senate allocated $360 to SASA for all of their programming for next academic year. This year, the group had a budget of $390. The group had requested an increase to $1,500 to cover costs of events like bystander intervention training and activities during Take Back the Night week.
So far the online fundraising campaign, which was started on Sunday, has raised about $1,200. The page has a goal of $1,500.
In a post on SASA’s Facebook page, leaders said the allocation would “prevent us from bringing speakers to campus, from holding effective programming and workshops and from supporting survivors in the best possible ways.”
The SA senate had passed the funding budget in an emergency session Friday, overriding former SA President Nick Gumas’ veto of the same budget earlier in the week. Gumas said he vetoed the budget on Monday because he believed many student organizations, including SASA did not receive enough funding.
Amber Singh, a head peer educator in SASA who spoke out against the group’s lack of funding before the SA senate voted on the budget for the first time last Monday. Singh is a former Hatchet reporter.
“So many people in the room said our issue is a priority, but this allocation does not show that,” Singh said at the meeting.
Rob Todaro, president of Allied in Pride, said in a Facebook post that there are “systemic problems” in the SA allocation process, because smaller organizations are at a disadvantage.
“MSSC orgs should not need to appeal to the masses to get adequate funding – let’s put our money where our mouth is and actually promote diversity and inclusion,” Todaro said in the post.