Fourth annual Georgey Awards celebrate year in GW sports

Professor Pato helps co-host Brian Mojica learn spanish at the fourth annual Georgey Awards. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor.
Professor Pato helps co-hose Brian Mojica learn spanish at the fourth annual Georgey Awards. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor.
This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Alex Kist.

GW athletes shed their uniforms for suits and dresses Thursday night at the fourth annual Georgey Awards in Lisner Auditorium.

The ceremony celebrated the year in GW sports and athletes, teams and coaches received awards for their achievements in athletics, academics and community service.

Throughout the night, many athletes were recognized for their performances this season. To kick things off, baseball’s Robbie Metz was awarded the male Rookie of the Year award and gymnast Cami Drouin-Allaire was named female Rookie of the Year.

The athletic department also celebrated accomplishments off the field, as senior John Kopriva earned the men’s Red Auerbach Award, given to the student athlete who best embodies balancing success in sports, school, leadership and community service.

“First Georgey, so that’s special,” Kopriva said. “All-around award, it’s something that I pride myself in, being more than just basketball, more than just books, more than just community, I try to be part of it all.”

Softball’s Maura Murphy and men’s soccer’s Luke Farrell received awards for Best Female and Male Athlete in a Supporting Role, respectively. The Dan Black Award was awarded to Jacqui Stevens, who recovered from a pair of ACL tears, and Craig LeJeune, who had Tommy John surgery last year, took the male award in the respective category.

Athletes Carlee Gray, Patricio Garino, Chidima Osuchukwu and Brian Mojica as the hosts of the night also added some comedic relief, as Gray and Mojica entered a lip sync battle, ending with Mojica serenading the audience with Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off”.

Gymnastics head coach Margie Foster-Cunningham won the Distinguished Service Award after giving 30 years of service to the her GW team. Men’s rowing’s Marc Hisarli and sailing’s Gabriella Malek won the Raise High Our Community Award for community service, and the gymnastics team took home the Raise High Our Community Team award.

In the closing moments of the night, Joe McDonald took home Moment of the Year after his game winning put back in overtime to beat Dayton, and Gymnastics and Women’s Basketball shared Co-Team of the Year Award after stellar seasons. Tennis senior Fransico Dias took home Male Player of the Year and women’s basketball junior Jonquel Jones received Female Player of the Year.

“It’s an incredible feeling,” Dias said. “I got one my freshman year as the Rookie of the Year and now I get one my senior year as Male Performer, and I couldn’t have done it without all the help from our athletic department, the leadership from Patrick Nero, the academic support, but mostly to the chemistry that I have with my teammates.”