D.C. high school seniors celebrate college decisions

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser addressed seniors from high schools across the city. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor.
Mayor Muriel Bowser addressed seniors from high schools across the city. Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor.
This post was written by Hatchet reporter Andrew Goudsward.

Music and cheering from some of D.C.’s high school seniors filled Lisner Auditorium Friday morning for the first-ever D.C. College Signing Day.

Mayor Muriel Bowser and U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan hosted the event celebrating graduating seniors who have recently decided where they will attend college.

In an address to the group, Bowser told college-bound students that graduating high school is “just a launching point,” and reminded them that attending college will also benefit their communities.

“If we are to build a city where we have a pathway to the middle class, we need you to compete for good paying jobs right here in your home town,” Bowser said.

Bowser also thanked GW for its commitment to admitting local students. Several recipients of the Stephen Joel Trachtenberg Scholarship were at the event. Over the program’s 25 years, more than 150 D.C. residents have earned full-ride scholarships through the program. In part of its overall focus on college affordability, the University has assigned each of its admissions staffers to a local high school to meet with students and build relationships.

Duncan told students their goal should be “not just to go to college, but to graduate from college.”

“You guys are the future of this city,” Duncan said. “Don’t forget your roots.”

Students from high schools around the city attended the event, which was held as a part of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Reach Higher Initiative, encouraging every high school student to pursue higher education.

In a taped message, Obama spoke of her own struggles during her freshmen year of college, including not having the right size sheets for the bed, and encouraged students to develop a plan for their future.

The event was hosted by local disc jockey Angie-Ange, who told the crowd today was “a celebration of you.” Some students in attendance performed musical numbers. All students were invited to take the stage to tell everyone their name and where they are going to college.