Transfers Mitola, Sina commit to men’s basketball program

Two transfer guards have committed to the GW men’s basketball program, according to reports from CBSSports’ Jon Rothstein Tuesday.

Dartmouth transfer Alex Mitola and Seton Hall transfer Jaren Sina are the newest additions to the Colonials’ squad, joining the team following the announced departure of shooting guards Darian Bryant, Nick Griffin and Kethan Savage last month.

Mitola, a 5-foot-11 guard from Florham Park, N.J., is immediately eligible to play in the upcoming 2015-2016 season.

The skilled shooter averaged 12.4 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in his junior year with the Big Green and will add much needed depth to the Colonials’ backcourt, supporting rising seniors Joe McDonald and Patricio Garino next year should he choose to play immediately. Mitola also shot 85 percent from the free throw line as a third-year, better than any Colonial last season.

Sina is ineligible for the team’s upcoming campaign but will have two years of eligibility remaining, starting with the 2016-2017 season.

The 6-foot-2, Lake Hopatcong, N.J. native averaged 7.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists last season as a sophomore with the Pirates. Sina led his team with 35 minutes on the floor in Seton Hall’s narrow 58-54 victory over GW on Nov. 29, 2014, but scored zero points on five field goal attempts.

Mitola and Sina have been teammates before, as they both played for Gill St. Bernard’s school in high school.