Recap: Baseball stages comeback win at Towson

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Josh Solomon.

Midweek games have been tricky for the Colonials. Four of their 12 losses on the season have come courtesy of a Tuesday or Wednesday matchup.

Until the eighth inning Tuesday night at Towson, it seemed GW was bound for another midweek loss. But similar to their win Sunday against Fordham, the Colonials staged a late comeback. They scored six runs in the final two frames to defeat the Tigers 8-4 in their 24th win of the season.

Sophomore Eli Kashi played one of the best games of the day, going 2-3 with two runs scored, two RBI, one walk and one big home run. He led off the third inning with his first career dinger to score the first run of the game.

Kashi began the eighth inning with a seven pitch walk to leadoff the inning. Although the Colonials’ second baseman would be put out at third base, he started the inning with one of a pitcher’s worst fears: a leadoff walk.

GW tied it up in the eighth with the help of pinch-hitter sophomore Colin Gibbons-Fly. He singled in one run – hitting for sophomore Bobby Campbell – and then with runners on the corners, stole second, giving freshman Matt Cosentino the opportunity to steal home for the tie.

In the ninth, Kashi took the first pitch of his at bat and drove in the go-ahead run with an RBI single down the left field line. He would then steal second in a double steal while senior Xavier Parkmond headed to third. Later, they both scored insurance runs courtesy of a two RBI single up the middle from sophomore Joey Bartosic.

Bartosic, now batting a team-high .340 with 50 hits, went 3-5, drove in those two runs, scored three of his own and swiped two bags.

But some early pitching woes dug the Colonials’ hole. Freshman Brady Renner got the start, going three innings, giving up one run on three hits with 54 pitches. Sophomore Brandon Ritchie relieved him to start the fourth inning, giving up three runs, two earned, on three hits, one walk and one hit batsman. Freshman Tyler Swiggart came into the fifth inning with runners on first and second, only to balk them both into scoring position.

In the first five innings, just 41 percent of GW’s first pitches were thrown for strikes – 9 of 22.

The final four innings were pitched by juniors Randy Dalrymple and the eventual winner, Luke Olson – neither of whom allowed a run.

The Colonials will continue Atlantic 10 play on the road this weekend at George Mason. Last year, in the Patriots’ first season in the conference, they took two of three in Arlington. Mason would also go onto win the A-10 Championship and play two games in an NCAA Regional. This year they are 5-7 in conference play, looking to make a late move to qualify for the playoffs.