Softball wins third in a row in shutout of Coppin State

Sophomore Paige Kovalsky throws the ball to first base for an out in the Colonials' victory over Coppin State. Kovalsky went 3 for 3 scoring 2 runs in the victory. Dan Rich | Hatchet Photographer.
Sophomore Paige Kovalsky throws the ball to first base for an out in the Colonials’ victory over Coppin State. Kovalsky went three for three, scoring two runs in the victory. Dan Rich | Hatchet Photographer.
This post was written by Hatchet reporter Marty Fenn.

The softball team resorted to playing small ball against Coppin State on Wednesday afternoon, but it brought the Colonials a 5-0 win on just six hits.

It was a good win for GW to grind out on the in-between plays on a day when the bats weren’t putting up big numbers. The Colonials now sit at 21-17 and have won three straight.

“Everyone was trying to swing for the fences,” head coach Stacey Schramm said. “We needed to put the ball on the ground and make them field it and [make plays].”

The GW offense was bolstered by Paige Kovalsky, who went three for three with three singles, and scored a crucial run in the fourth inning to put GW up 2-0.

Kovalsky was also aggressive on the base paths, advancing around the bases and scoring on three passed balls in the inning.

“I just tried to keep it simple,” said Kovalsky. “Everyone could see her – it was just a matter of not swinging too big.”

The Colonials took advantage of a number of passed balls, had three stolen bases courtesy of Megan Linn and two from Samantha Dos Santos, and added two sacrifice bunts that led to two runs.

While Kovalsky was taking care of the offense, freshman starter Sarah Costlow (13-14) handled things from the circle. She dominated the Coppin State lineup by pounding the strike zone despite striking out just three batters all game, throwing a complete-game shutout, giving up only five hits and surrendering two walks.

“She went right at them,” Schramm said. “She gave up the two doubles, but so what? She challenged them, and that’s exactly what we wanted.”

With her 13th win of the season, Costlow tied a rookie record previously held by Amanda Gabriel (’09) and junior Meghan Rico.

“I just look to use my defense,” Costlow said. “You never want to do too much. I just want to do whatever I can to get us back in the dugout.”

The biggest GW inning came in the bottom of the fourth. Dos Santos led off with a walk and stole second base, advancing to third on the errant throw. Alana Anderson followed with a sacrifice fly to put the Colonials on the board. Kovalsky then singled and would eventually come around to score after the three passed balls in the inning.

From there, the Colonials added one in the fifth and two in the sixth to polish off the Eagles.

The Colonials will travel to Dayton on Saturday for a three-game conference stand against the league-leading Flyers.

“We’re playing at a level right now where I’m really confident in the team,” Schramm said. “We know what we have to do, and it’s going to be tough, but when is it not?”