Business school lands at No. 20 for highest return on investment

Want the biggest bang for your buck? You might find it at the GW School of Business.

The business school landed the No. 20 spot on a list of 25 business schools with the highest return on investment, published by Fortune Magazine earlier this week. Twenty five business schools across the country made the list, with the University of California, Berkeley, clinching the top spot.

The return on investment was calculated by estimating how much the average graduate would earn over 20 years and subtracting the amount of tuition that student would pay while earning the degree. The magazine estimated that a GW business school graduate student will earn $609,800 more than a high school graduate would over 20 years, but only after paying about $63,000 in tuition every year for four years.

But, GW’s tuition was the fourth-highest on the list. Nine of the universities listed have tuition levels that are about half the amount as GW.

New York University, one of GW’s peer schools, ranked seventh on the list, with a return on investment of $693,700 – an amount nearly $84,000 higher than GW. Other peer schools included Washington University in St. Louis and American University, which landed the 22nd and 24th spots, respectively.