Former student files lawsuit after allegedly being struck by University vehicle

Updated: April 15, 2015 at 6:36 p.m.

A former student is suing the University for $750,000, claiming she was injured after she was struck by a GW vehicle in 2012.

Alexis Levine, who was an undergraduate student at the time of the incident, filed the complaint in D.C. Superior Court two weeks ago. She alleges that she suffered severe back injuries and mental anguish, according to court documents.

Levine claims she was crossing 23rd Street with friends at a crosswalk in June 2012 at about 11:30 p.m. when she was struck by the vehicle and knocked to the ground. She suffered two herniated discs and multiple scrapes and bruises as a result of the collision, according to the documents. The complaint did not specify what kind of vehicle it was.

The driver, who was not identified in the documents, allegedly yelled out the window and “never stopped or returned to the scene,” according to the documents.

A University Police Department officer arrived at the scene with paramedics. Levine was sent home that night after a brief examination. She alleges that she “could not walk without excruciating pain” the following day.

Levine has “incurred substantial medical expenses; has suffered a loss of wages; has suffered and will continue to suffer pain … emotional distress and mental anguish; and has incurred other injuries and damages,” according to the court document.

University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said GW is aware of the case but does not comment on pending litigation. Paul Comoni, Levine’s lawyer, was not immediately available for comment.

A scheduling conference for the trial will take place June 12. Levine requested a trial by jury for her case.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported Paul Comoni’s last name as Cornoni. We regret this error.