The Hatchet receives 12 honors in regional competition

The Society of Professional Journalists recognized The Hatchet for best in-depth reporting for its stories about GW's $1 billion fundraising campaign. One story found that as officials seek naming gifts for schools and buildings across campus, billionaire alumni will likely appear on the University's donor short list.
The Hatchet was recognized for best in-depth reporting, including a story about GW’s billionaire connections. Sophie McTear | Design Editor

This post was written by news editor Mary Ellen McIntire.

The Society of Professional Journalists recognized The Hatchet this week for best in-depth reporting and best editorial cartooning in the region.

Chloe Sorvino, The Hatchet’s senior news editor, and Colleen Murphy, a news editor who will take over the newspaper as editor in chief this month, were recognized for their reporting on GW’s $1 billion fundraising campaign:
University to officially launch landmark fundraising campaign
Alumni Weekend: Where the gifts just begin
Fundraising chief steps down, leaves legacy and $1 billion campaign behind
GW’s billionaire network: How big fortunes could turn into big campus donations

Cartoon by Jay Fondin
Cartoon by Jay Fondin

Hatchet cartoonist Jay Fondin won top honors for his work in 2014:
Coping with reverse culture shock after study abroad
Sculpting the GW-Corcoran merger takes longer than expected
Commercial rankings fail to fully capture GW

The first-place submissions for the region – which includes Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and D.C. – will now advance to the SPJ’s national Mark of Excellence competition that considers winners from 12 regions.

The Hatchet was also recognized as a finalist in other categories, including:

• Best affiliated website – The Hatchet staff.
  • Sports photography – Cameron Lancaster, a photo editor, for his shot of former men’s basketball player Isaiah Armwood.
  • Breaking news reporting – The Hatchet staff, for its coverage of two suicides that occurred on the Mount Vernon Campus last spring.
  • Hatchet File Photo by Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor
    Hatchet File Photo by Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor
  • Staff editorials: Making a judicial process for sexual assaults that diminishes stigma and shame, How to fill the Vern’s counseling void and UPD must look inward before trying to expand its power by The Hatchet’s editorial board.
  • General column writing: In wake of student passing, turn to each other, Why we need trigger warnings on syllabi, It’s time for GW to abandon the MOOCs experiment by senior columnist Justin Peligri.
  • The Science and Engineering Hall (left) and The Avenue complex. File Photo by Katie Causey | Hatchet Staff Photographer
    The Science and Engineering Hall (left) and The Avenue complex. File Photo by Katie Causey | Hatchet Staff Photographer
  • General news reporting: GW shakes up plan to cover massive SEH debt after fundraising flop by Colleen Murphy.
  • In-depth reporting: When money walks: How GW lost a Google project but still draws other top-tier researchers by assistant news editor Jacqueline Thomsen.
  • Sports column writing: Trip to Richmond provides a spark for men’s basketball, The Colonials get their swagger back and The pain of Creek’s final shot by former columnist Ben Krimmel.
  • Sports writing: A secret injury, a risky return and a ‘stubborn’ athlete’s will to play by sports editor Nora Princiotti and Hatchet staff writer Josh Solomon.
  • Best use of multimedia: The Best of Northwest by The Hatchet staff.