Rick Santorum talks foreign policy and sensitivity training in YAF speech

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Chase Smith.

Rick Santorum sounded like he was gearing up for a presidential run when he spoke on campus Monday night.

Santorum, a former Republican senator and 2012 presidential candidate, spoke to students about the importance of family values and the recent controversy on campus surrounding GW’s chapter of the Young America’s Foundation.

Here are some of the main takeaways from his speech:

1. Obama’s foreign policy

Santorum criticized President Barack Obama’s foreign policy around Iran and called him out for “doing nothing” surrounding immigration.

Santorum said he had wanted to impose sanctions on Iran in 2006 and that then-senators Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden and Obama were supportive at the time.

He said serious issues surrounding national security haven’t been talked about during the current administration and at times under the Bush administration because officials are “bound up in political correctness,” which he called “deadly.”

Santorum said Obama’s stance on current Iranian nuclear negotiations and sanctions is “the most dangerous act to threaten American lives than any president has engaged in maybe in American History.”

2. Commenting on the YAF controversy

YAF leaders said earlier this month they would request a “religious exemption” if mandatory sensitivity trainings for student leaders were approved, after the Student Association Senate voted in favor of the sessions in February.

Santorum addressed the issue, which has received national coverage. He said that for the first time in U.S. history, Christian viewpoints are not welcomed into public debate on certain issues.

“The only sensitivity training we need is to respect every person,” he said, which prompted a loud applause from the audience.

Last week YAF leaders said they still do not support a mandated training, but are working to plan a campus tolerance event with Allied in Pride.

Santorum also noted the religious freedom law signed in Indiana last week which has been criticized for being discriminatory agaisnt LGBT groups. Santorum  said it’s similar to laws in 19 other states and said there haven’t been no discrimination cases filed in those states.

3. Use of the term ‘tolerance’

Santorum said he thought the word “tolerance” is the “most misused word in the English language.” He said tolerance is a two-way street regarding religious beliefs and those which conflict with them.

Santorum said he thought people should be able to say offensive things without being attacked for their opinions.

“The First Amendment is not there to protect people from being offended, it has given people the right for 200 years to say offensive things,” he said.