GW accepts 45 percent of applicants, highest rate in more than a decade

The University admitted 45 percent of students to the Class of 2019, an about 3 percentage point increase from last year and the highest admission rate in more than a decade.

Before last year, GW’s acceptance rate had sat at about 33 percent for the previous three years, in contrast to competitor schools that became more selective.

Twelve percent of the students admitted are international and 34 percent are are multicultural, according to a University release.

A total of 19,780 students applied to GW, according to the release — an about 4 percent increase from last year and an about 10 percent drop compared to 2013.

For the first time this year, students were able to pick two school options and choose among three essay prompts in their application – changes that experts said could help attract more applicants.

The drop in applications between 2013 and 2014 came after the University started to accept only the Common Application, which requires students to submit all their materials at once and pay a $75 fee.

GW accepted about 71 percent of the 1,057 students who applied early decision, an about 7 percentage point increase from last year and the highest rate in six years.

Officials announced earlier this year that early decision students would not receive first pick among residence halls, a policy switch that brings GW in line with national standards.

For the first time this spring, the University will cover a portion of travel costs for admitted students within the United States who can’t afford to visit campus. It also extended the number of spring visit days from four to five this year.