Vote to renovate Corcoran Gallery of Art pushed to next month

GW signed off on final agreements with the Corcoran College of Art + Design Thursday. Hatchet File Photo.
The Corcoran’s 17th Street building has been on the National Historic Registry since 1992. Hatchet File Photo.
The D.C. Historic Preservation Review Board delayed its vote on whether the Corcoran Gallery of Art’s historic status includes its interior to next month, the Washington Post reported.

The board was supposed to vote on GW’s plans Thursday to renovate the 17th Street building, but board members said that since the University submitted more information for the case, more review will be needed before a decision can be made.

The Corcoran’s more than 118-year-old Beaux Arts building has been on the National Historic Registry since 1992, the Post reported. GW’s plans to renovate the building include updating bathrooms and moving classroom space. University President Steven Knapp said when GW absorbed the Corcoran College that it would spend $25 million in the first phase of renovations.

The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission backed GW’s plan to renovate only certain parts of the historic building.

Charles Barber, GW’s deputy general counsel, said the University supports keeping “largely ceremonial spaces” – like the building’s rotunda – untouched, but other spaces should be updated.

“We need greater flexibility to shape its space for arts education,” he told the panel.

The vote will now take place April 23, the Post reported.