Andie Dowd wins SA presidency with platform focused on wellness

Junior Andie Dowd won the Student Association president spot Thursday with 52.6 percent of the vote. Desiree Halpern | Contributing Photo Editor
Junior Andie Dowd won the Student Association president position Thursday with 52.6 percent of the vote. Desiree Halpern | Contributing Photo Editor

Updated: March 28, 2015 at 11:44 p.m.

Junior Andie Dowd was elected the next president of the Student Association on Thursday, winning the bid with 52.6 percent of the vote.

Dowd’s platform focused on improving health and wellness resources on campus, including placing sexual assault hotline numbers on the back of GWorld cards, putting sexual assault resources on GW’s smartphone app and improving 4-RIDE services. She also committed to leading the implementation of a peer-support program, which this year’s executives prioritized.

Junior Casey Syron won the executive vice president race with 2,213 votes. Katie Causey | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Junior Casey Syron won the executive vice presidential race with 2,213 votes. Katie Causey | Hatchet Staff Photographer

“I’m grateful for our team,” Dowd said after the results were announced.

Casey Syron won the executive vice presidential post with 2,213 votes, or about 44 percent — four percentage points higher than the threshold he needed to cross before the race went to a runoff.

Dowd held positions on the SA as a member of the Freshman Advisory Council and was the director of new students her sophomore year. She helped create a new SA position geared toward transfer students, and this year she served as the vice president for undergraduate student policy in the executive cabinet, where she focused on non-academic policies for undergraduates.

Syron held a position on the SA as a senator this year, representing Columbian College of Arts and Sciences undergraduates. His platform included goals for healthier campus dining, free counseling sessions and expanding 4-RIDE’s boundaries.

“We’ve been planning for a runoff this entire week, so it’s very relieving knowing that we won’t have to, cause now I can sleep,” Syron said.

A record total of 5,456 students voted in this year’s election — a number marked in recent years by sub-par turnout for a student body of more than 25,000.

The referenda on the ballot passed with an overwhelming success: Mandatory sexual assault prevention and intervention training at Colonial Inauguration secured 4,800 votes in favor, or 92 percent of the vote. Disclosing how much GW invests in fossil fuel companies and removing them from the endowment, known as divesting, won 3,697 votes, or 71.7 percent.

The referenda follow years of student lobbying. Current SA President Nick Gumas highlighted sexual assault prevention training at the February Board of Trustees meeting, and the student organization Fossil Free GW has pushed for divestment for more than a year.

Gumas said he was “excited for next year” and was thrilled with the results for the sexual assault education referendum.

“This sends a clear message to the University that this needs to be implemented for this coming CI and every incoming student for the class of 2019 has comprehensive education on the issue of sexual violence,” he said.

Last year, Gumas won the post of SA president in a two-candidate race with a record 2,092 votes. Dowd won this year’s election with with 2,659 votes in a three-candidate field.

Here is the full list of this year’s winners. The names of the winners are italicized:

Student Association President
Andie Dowd (2659)
Ben Pryde (1895)
Alex Cho (539)
Student Association Executive Vice President
Casey Syron (2213)
Spencer Perry (1373)
Carlo Wood (1365)
Undergraduate-at-Large Senator
Nancy Mannebach (2383)
Sean Kumnick (1835)
Alec DiFruscia (1085)
Jonng Hyup Lee (821)
Graduate-at-Large Senator
Alissa Fromkin (259)
Lacey Bruske (191)
Josh Harmon (158)
Kevin Fairdosi (155)
CCAS Undergraduate Senator
Thomas Falcigno (1277)
Erika Feinman (1250)
Melissa Lawrence (1249)
Nick Watkins (1193)
Kathleen Hunt (1158)
Evan Bursey (1045)
Juan Pablo Rivera Garza (884)
CCAS Graduate Senator
Monika Jansen (87)
Miguel Angel Torthon Granados (65)
Brady Forrest (60)
Matej Jovanovic (54)
CPS Undergraduate Senator
Write-in candidate
CPS Graduate Senator
Write-in candidate
GSEHD Senator
Write-in candidates
Law School Senator
Results pending
SEAS Undergraduate Senator
Zachary Graybill (193)
Ramie Abounaja (88)
SEAS Graduate Senator
Write-in candidates
SMHS Undergraduate Senator
Unfulfilled
SMHS Graduate Senator
Arielle Katcher (117)
Madelyn Hernandez (68)
Joshua Slocum (46)
ESIA Undergraduate Senator
Charles Spirtos (488)
Rohan Bhargava (458)
Eric Beeler (400)
Cristian Vides (381)
Parth Taparia (366)
ESIA Graduate Senator
John Blaha (n/a)
GWSB Undergraduate Senator
Alyssa Weakley (327)
Paden Gallagher (221)
Bhujit Saini (152)
GWSB Graduate Senator
Mohammed Rumzee (n/a)
SON Graduate Senator
Unfulfilled
SPHHS Undergraduate Senator
Nicole Martin (n/a)
SPHHS Graduate Senator
Molly Benoit
Program Board Chair
Seth Gold
Program Board Vice Chair
Jackie Susuni

Jacqueline Thomsen, Ryan Lasker and Mary Ellen McIntire contributed reporting.

This post was updated to reflect the following corrections:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported percentages of the total vote. As the vote totals were being announced, we used the reported total vote number. Later, the JEC reported the final percentages for each race and referendum. The post’s headline was also updated to show that Dowd’s platform focused on student wellness, not mental health. We regret these errors.