Sophomore Griffin to transfer from men’s basketball

Sophomore shooting guard Nick Griffin has elected to transfer from the men’s basketball team.

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman tweeted Monday that Griffin would transfer and an athletics communications staff member confirmed that the Rockville, Md. native would be leaving the program.

Griffin saw limited minutes in his two years with the program and was used as a three-point specialist. This past season, he averaged 2.6 points in 7.9 minutes per game after averaging 1.8 points in 4.8 minutes per game as a freshman when he shot 48 percent from beyond the arc. His three-point shooting percentage dropped to 36 percent during his sophomore year.

Griffin, who suffered from the lack of spacing on the court this season but struggled with inconsistency in his shot, was the only sophomore on the team and the sole player remaining from head coach Mike Lonergan’s 2013-14 rookie class. Then-freshmen Miguel Cartagena and Skyler White both transferred at the end of that season.

The departure of Griffin frees up a spot for Lonergan to go after a late, unsigned high school senior to join the class of 2019 or to try to land a transfer student. Lonergan signed Maurice Creek as a transfer from Indiana before the 2013-14 season and Tyler Cavanaugh out of Wake Forest last summer.