Allied in Pride and YAF to plan campus tolerance event

Updated: March 24, 2015 at 3:16 p.m.

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Victoria Sheridan.

Allied in Pride and GW’s Young America’s Foundation released a statement Monday about how they could work together to foster “a comfortable campus environment.”

YAF leaders said they still oppose mandated diversity trainings but would work with Allied in Pride to plan a separate event about tolerance on campus. Earlier this month, Allied in Pride released a statement that YAF leaders’ refusal to use preferred gender pronouns was an “act of violence.”

“Both of our organizations are in agreement regarding the importance of diversity, inclusion, and tolerance,” the groups’ joint statement read. “We simply disagree over proposed methods of instilling these values in the student body.”

That statement also comes after Allied in Pride called on the Student Association to defund the conservative group for opposing mandated diversity trainings.

The proposed trainings were part of a series of bills related to LGBT issues on campus that the SA passed last month. Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski said in a statement two weeks ago that the University had not yet seen a copy of the bills, which he said act as a “recommendation” for officials to consider.

Student organization presidents and treasurers are already required to participate in a day-long set of trainings in the fall. Sessions included topics like budgeting, finance, diversity and creating safe zones for LGBT students.