SA presidential candidates push for fossil fuel divestment

Updated: March 20, 2015 at 10:44 a.m.

This year’s three Student Association presidential candidates published a combined letter Wednesday afternoon pushing the University to divest from fossil fuels, a vote that will appear on the SA ballot next week.

Presidential candidates Alex Cho, Andie Dowd and Ben Pryde said in the letter that they “applaud the hard work” of administrators in advancing GW’s sustainability efforts. But, the candidates said officials must do more by divesting, a process that requires GW to disclose its investments in fossil fuels and removing them from the endowment.

Similar efforts are also taking place at Harvard University and Northwestern University, one of GW’s peer schools.

“We urge every student to vote for divestment, so that our collective concerns about climate change will be heard loud and clear,” the letter reads. Fossil Free GW delivered the letter to the student body through a post on their Facebook page.

The candidates wrote that if the vote passes, they will build “connections between our values as a University community, on sustainability and our local and global footprint, and our long term investment strategy as a forward looking perpetual institution” through discussions with students, faculty and the Board of Trustees.

The presidential candidates have also unilaterally supported increasing sexual violence education at Colonial Inauguration. Each issued statements saying they do not support GW’s chapter of the Young America’s Foundation seeking a religious exemption if LGBT sensitivity training becomes mandatory. The three presidential candidates and three executive vice president candidates also all wrote a letter to the editor of The Hatchet last week saying the next SA administration will support sensitivity training.