Women’s basketball to begin NCAA Tournament play Friday against Gonzaga

The No. 19 women’s basketball team will begin NCAA Tournament play Friday at 7:30 against Gonzaga in Corvallis, Oregon, the NCAA Tournament selection committee announced Monday.

The Colonials learned their fate at a selection show watch party in the Colonials Club in the Smith Center Monday evening, as students and fans looked on as the seeds were announced. GW had already secured an automatic bid to the big dance by winning the Atlantic 10 Tournament, but did not know seed or opponent information prior to the event.

The game will be played at Oregon State’s Gill Coliseum. Oregon State is seeded third in the Spokane region and therefore earned the right to serve as host.

Should GW advance they would face the winner of No. 3 seed Oregon State and No. 14 seed South Dakota State on Sunday, March 22.

It will be the 16th time the Colonials have been to the NCAA Tournament, where they have a 13-2 record in the first round. GW is 18-15 overall in the big dance, where the No. 6 seed matches the 1996 and 2008 teams for the third-best in program history. The program’s best overall seed was No. 4 in 1995.

The Colonials reached the Elite Eight in 1997 and have been to the Sweet 16 four times. They last went to the NCAA Tournament in 2008.