The Hatchet elects Murphy as 2015-2016 editor in chief

Colleen Murphy, a junior, will lead The Hatchet through its 112th volume. Samuel Klein | Senior Photo Editor

The Hatchet’s staff elected junior Colleen Murphy as its next editor in chief Wednesday.

Murphy, a political communication major and Spanish minor, will lead the newspaper through its 112th volume starting in May.

The Saint Paul, Minn. native has covered University leadership, finances, fundraising and diversity as a news editor this academic year.

She has broken stories like the overhaul of GW’s plan to pay off debt on the Science and Engineering Hall, and the business school’s move to offer six-figure buyouts to dozens of faculty. She wrote about every step of GW’s merger with the Corcoran College, the rollout of the public phase of GW’s $1 billion fundraising campaign and the University’s response to campus sexual assault. She has also reported about Greek life, sustainability, financial aid and admissions.

Before she was promoted to news editor, she oversaw The Hatchet’s metro section, covering city politics and the University Police Department. Murphy has written for The Hatchet since her freshman year. If the staff cannot find her at The Hatchet townhouse, she is likely in a yoga class or at a concert in D.C.

Murphy will also take over as president of Hatchet Publications, Inc., pending approval by The Hatchet’s Board of Directors.

The Hatchet is an editorially and financially independent student newspaper serving the GW and Foggy Bottom community. The Associated Collegiate Press recently named The Hatchet one of the 10 best four-year, non-daily college newspapers in the country.