Your Week: International eats, DJs and a mixology class

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Regina Park.

The second half of February is still frigid, so keep toasty with dinner specials across the District and DJs known for their global sound. Before you chow down, enjoy Mardi Gras even if you’re under 21, or avoid the bar scene and learn to make a real drink at Mixology 101.

Tuesday

Mardi Gras with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band: For those who are not yet 21 but would still like to enjoy the annual Carnival celebrations, The Hamilton is hosting this free concert. Straight from the streets of New Orleans, the Dirty Dozen have been playing together since 1977.
The Hamilton, 600 14th St. NW. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Free.

Mixology 101: If you’d rather make drinks on Mardi Gras, this one-night-only workshop is for you. Learn to make high-end cocktails from Chad Spangler, who was named the 2012 Best Bartender by the Washington Post Express and the 2013 Most Imaginative Bartender by GQ Magazine.
Chaplin’s, 1501 9th St. NW. 6:30 p.m. $45 in advance, $55 at the door, 21 and older.

Wednesday

Das German at Doner Bistro: Doner Bistro is hosting a “Das German” Party for the Germanophiles in us all. International DJs Dianamatic, Wolfblister, Slammer and IndaNile will be spinning everything from pop and electro to rap – and, of course, it will be in German (auf Deutsch). And who could forget the bier specials?
Doner Bistro, 1654 Columbia Road NW. 7 p.m. Free, 21 and older.

Cutting Agency and Fractal Cat at Gypsy Sally’s: Cutting Agency is an experimental group founded in the District that merges DJ groove with the live-music sound of a five-piece band. The group has shared the stage with big names like Magic!, Ramsey Lewis, Lettuce and others.
Gypsy Sally’s, 3401 Water St. N.W. 7 p.m. $10

Thursday

Chocolate Puma at U Street Music Hall: U Street Music Hall is bringing Gaston Steenskist and René ter Horst, two of the Netherlands’ most celebrated electronic musicians, to the District. The duo, called Chocolate Puma, will collaborate with D.C.’s very own Brad Piff.
U Street Music Hall, 1115 U St. NW. 10 p.m. $10

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/45359315″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]

Chinese New Year Celebration at The Fainting Goat: For those interested in a little culture with their Chinese food, check out this celebration. Executive chef Nathan Beauchamp will serve a family-inspired dinner consisting of food that’s traditionally eaten for good luck, such as Szechuan goat, clams with XO sauce and steamed bass. Imported Tsingtao beers for $4 will be available, as well as “good luck” cocktails. The Fainting Goat will also have traditional lion dances and kung-fu movie screenings.
1330 U St. NW 6 p.m. $35