Tau Kappa Epsilon townhouse to be emptied after chapter closes

Media Credit: Desiree Halpern | Contributing Photo Editor
The GW chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon was closed two weeks ago following an investigation by the University. The chapter is currently in the process of vacating its townhouse on 22nd Street.

Updated: Jan. 29, 2015 at 9:42 p.m.

Advisers to the GW chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon are clearing out the townhouse on 22nd Street after the group was booted off campus this month.

Alex Baker, the chief information officer for the international organization, said the chapter is in the process of “vacating the property” because it is no longer recognized by TKE or GW. He added that the townhouse is owned by the chapter’s board of advisers.

The advisers “will continue to own the home and will make a decision in terms of future residents, if any, at their discretion,” he said in an email.

University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt deferred requests to comment about whether the international organization had made any offers to sell GW the building to the international organization. Baker said he did not know if there were plans to sell the townhouse to the University.

Center for Student Engagement Director Tim Miller and Greek Life Director Christina Witkowicki did not immediately return requests for comment.

The chapter was shut down two weeks ago following an investigation by the University and TKE’s international organization. In October, the chapter’s charter was temporarily suspended after a marijuana-related arrest.

Students living in the house declined to comment.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that the townhouse was owned by the TKE international fraternity’s board of advisers. It is actually owned by the chapter’s board of advisers. We regret this error.