GW taps online learning leader to take over School of Nursing

Pamela R. Jeffries, vice provost of digital initiatives at the Johns Hopkins University, will take over as dean of the School of Nursing in April. Photo courtesy of The Johns Hopkins University.
Pamela R. Jeffries, vice provost of digital initiatives at the Johns Hopkins University, will take over the School of Nursing as dean in April. Photo courtesy of the Johns Hopkins University.

GW tapped its fourth top administrator from the Johns Hopkins University to lead the School of Nursing, the University announced Friday.

Pamela R. Jeffries, Johns Hopkins’ first-ever vice provost of digital initiatives, will take the helm of GW’s newest school on April 6. She’s been a nursing professor at the research hub since 2009.

“Leading a new nursing school in its early years is a unique opportunity and one that few nursing leaders are privileged to experience,” Jeffries said in a release. “It is a challenge I eagerly accept, and I look forward to sharing the rewards of success with faculty and students.”

Her research has focused on innovation in nursing education, and she has worked with groups like the National Council of State Boards of Nursing.

Jeffries earned a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Ball State University in Indiana and her master’s and doctorate degrees in nursing from Indiana University School of Nursing, where she later served as the associate dean of undergraduate programs.

She will take over a school that has grown its enrollment and faculty since it was established in 2010. Jean Johnson, the school’s inaugural dean, stepped down from the role last month, about a year and a half after she announced she’d take a sabbatical and fall back into a teaching and research role.

Mary Jean Schumann took over as interim dean on Jan. 1, and will remain in the position until Jeffries starts this spring.