Weekend Outlook: Metal, museums and ‘The Daily Show’

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Samuel Pfister. 

This weekend, you can catch a metal concert, see a car show or ask Comedy Central writers what it’s like to work alongside Jon Stewart.

Friday

Wings Denied at the Black Cat: Progressive rock band Wings Denied returns to the District after a tour with stops in Athens, Ga., and Chattanooga, Tenn. The group recently released an album, “Mirrors for a Prince,” which will be available at the show.
The Black Cat, 1811 14th St. NW. Doors at 9 p.m. $12

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/146086044″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]

Auto Show at the Walter E. Washington: This Friday marks the beginning of the 2015 Washington Auto Show. Scores of exhibitors will display their latest models as well as classics, plus recent innovations like the Toyota I-Road. Attendees will have the chance to win prizes and meet guests, including D.C. sports figures like NFL legend Charley Taylor and the Capitals’ Brooks Laich.
Walter E. Washington Convention Center, 801 Mount Vernon Place NW. $12

Saturday

“The Daily Show” Writers’ Tour: Writers and producers behind “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” will perform so-called “political-ish” comedy. Afterward, audience members can ask questions about the production of the satirical show.
600 I St. NW. Doors at 7 p.m. $20

Architectural Adaptation at The National Building Museum: Be the first to experience the museum’s latest interactive exhibit on the heels of last fall’s wildly popular maze. This exhibit, which opens Saturday, will have more than 60 three-dimensional models suspended from second-floor balconies that Danish architect Bjarke Ingels designed to exhibit his idea of “hedonistic sustainability,” a philosophy that environmentally friendly structures need not be defined by pain and sacrifice.
National Building Museum, 401 F St. NW. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. $5 student admission to exhibitions.

Sunday

Baby Bry Bry & The Apologists at U Street: Bry Bry leads The Apologists, also known as the crooners and screamers behind the laid-back punk band. The band’s first release, “I Learned To Drown Myself Out,” is a take on matters of the heart. They have a strong following in the District.
U Street Music Hall, 1115 U St. NW. Doors at 7 p.m. $15

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/172322997″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]

Choreographers’ Showcase in Maryland: Spend the day at the University of Maryland for the 32nd Annual Choreographers’ Showcase. The afternoon is packed with performances from local choreographers, and finalists will be selected by judges Zvi Gotheiner and Keith Thompson.
Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, intersection of Stadium Drive and Route 193. 3 p.m. $15 to $25.